PDA

View Full Version : Safari drops connection

danborden
05-11-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm running Safari 3.2.1 on a G4 PowerBook running OS 10.4.11. Recently, when using Safari (with 5 or 6 tabs open) it just stops loading as if the internet connection has been dropped. I can still get email at these times, and if I launch Firefox, it works fine. The only remedy is to quit Safari (often having to force quit), and then relaunch it. Is there a way to uninstall Safari and reinstall it (I know I can download a fresh copy from Apple's site), or is there a plist file I should trash?
Thanks for any help.

spo3
05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
I have had a problem recently trashing programmes and only deleting the app itself from the app folder which leaves all the other residue just sitting around the hd taking up space and being the guy at the party that nobody else wants there, so to speak.
I came across a sweet little utiility called appCleaner that deletes the app itself and anything else related to it -
get it here...
http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac
works well enough for me

tw
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
it is almost NEVER necessary to delete and reinstall an application in OS X, particularly not an Apple app (the exceptions being if you installed a beta version that doesn't work, or had a rare disk failure that happened to hit that app specifically). once an app is installed, the code files in the application package are not generally modified, and so the app won't 'break' that way. usually problems come from auxiliary and support files (plugins, caches, preference files, or system hacks or upgrades). reinstalling the app won't solve the problem unless it accidentally removes whatever was actually causing the problem at the same time.

in this case, I'd trash Safari's preference file (in ~/Library/Preferences), check to see if you have a plug in or input manager installed that needs an update, and clear Safari's cache files first before doing anything more radical.