PDA

View Full Version : port forwarding on wireless router - can't view server from local network

thulsey
03-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Here's' an interesting one:
I have set up my wireless router (no name OEM'd deal bought at a GREAT price in Taiwan) and have a server behind it with a static private IP address. Laptops and server are all online and working GREAT. Using Virtual Servers option on the web admin page for the router I've set up port forwarding to the server for such services as imap(143), ftp(20,21), ssh(22), smtp(25) web(80), etc.... (the fact that I can do this on an outdated 8500/120 with Mac OS X 10.1.5 shoehorned in is just beautiful....)

It works, but here's the catch: I can only access any of these things if I am OUTSIDE of my local network. Any attempt to ssh to my server using a domain name or the public IP address results in a refused connection. (I can use the local IP, but that sorta defeats the purpose of having a domain name I can use ANYwhere for me). Webpages are rejected (and I'm using virutal hosts in apache, so I really need to use domain names to access my websites).

From the outside, it's GREAT. I can receive mail (and check it using the private IP address) and reach EVERYTHING from OUTSIDE>

Any ideas what the heck is going on? I'm sure it's just a basic networking problem I don't have figured out, but any input at all would be GREAT.

Thanks in advance,
Travis:confused:

xchanyazy
03-10-2003, 08:45 AM
My roommate had a _____ wireless router (I want to say SMB, but I'm not really sure) that did not allow loopback. I believe it was a "feature", one that could not be turned off. Anyways, what I ended up doing was editing NetInfo Manager (in the machines directory). I just made new machines, named them the external name, and gave them the internal IP address. It worked for me, though I was just messing around with a couple of computers, I didn't have as much of a setup as you...