PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Apple 2 Button Mouse

Popeye36541
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I have burned through 6 different Apple Mouse, the white one with the round button @ the front. IMO, it is a piece of crap. Thank God for the Apple Care program. Just got a new one yesterday. Main problem is that the mouse will suddenly quit scrolling up or down or one or the other. I have use the alcohol swabs to clean the button but that did not work this last time. It had worked 3 times before on this same mouse. I get about 3 months out of one of these mouse @ the most before I start having problems.

I am looking for a more durable alternative to this device. Can/will someone point me in another direction? Surely Apple can do better than this. I do not use a mouse pad because the mouse will not move well on a pad. Thanx for the help in advance.

benwiggy
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
The Mighty Mouse does tend to get mouse cruft in its ball, which can stop it from working regularly.
There are online instructions for disassembly, which involves forcing apart glued sections, and requires re-gluing afterwards.

I've recently invested in a Wacom Bamboo One graphics tablet, and I'm never going back to mice.

styrafome
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I am looking for a more durable alternative to this device.

Let's see...that would be...just about any other USB laser mouse you can find, since they have no moving parts.

Popeye36541
04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
mouse? I prefer the USP connection mouse if possible. If possible give me some names, etc. Thanx for the help both of u guys gave me.

styrafome
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
It doesn't have to be a laser mouse, I was just saying that the skipping and sticking was an endemic problem back when all mice had a little ball on the bottom that picked up dirt. Laser mice eliminated that problem. The Mighty Mouse brought that problem back, since it re-introduced a mechanical ball to the mouse.

I have had good luck with Kensington mice, myself. I buy the really cheap USB two-button scroll wheel ones. They just work.

Popeye36541
04-01-2009, 03:47 PM
tip. I wonder if I would have more luck with my Apple mouse if I used a mouse pad with a hard top, but like U said the problem is with the rolling ball in the top of the mouse. Apple apparently does not care about solving the problem; my dealer said they get several back every month, so this cannot be a problem Apple does not know about.